The Director, Application Development oversees the teams which executes on the product roadmap, helping our clients delight their advisors while giving them the capabilities they need to manage their offices. This person is a skilled team builder and an excellent recruiter, communicating and resolving issues as they arise. The Director, Application Development will develop and implement a comprehensive development and delivery strategy for the Advisor360° product group by establishing a culture of excellence in execution for the organization. The goal of this position is to make everyone in the application development organization successful by painting the vision of the future and fixing the issues that are getting in the way of successful execution. The ideal applicant is focused on the tasks of internal delivery and keeping the teams moving forward. This leader will also establish a high level of team participation and interaction, serve as an inspiring mentor and coach, ensure that quality is a high priority at every stage, and move products into production in the desired time frames.
Additional skills and knowledge
- Mentor and grow the team responsible for application design and development
- Partner with Product Management to deliver new product features across the Advisor360° platform including web and mobile channels
- Create an engaged engineering culture of technology innovation and excellence, characterized as highly collaborative, execution-focused, fast-paced, and best in class
- Coach and provide guidance to senior engineering leaders on management and technical tracks for a growing team of more than 100 engineers
- Implement state-of-the-art DevOps capabilities/processes to optimize efficiency and a high level of performance
- Define metrics (i.e., KRIs and KPIs) that measure the performance of the Application Development team and the quality of the Advisor360° platform
- Work with leadership to develop multi-year technology and product roadmaps to ensure “one vision” for execution
- Ensure effective communication across multiple teams and products
- Apply data-driven methods to inform decisions about products, technology, and teams
- Build highly scalable processes built on a CI/CD model to deliver SaaS offerings
- Be a magnet for software development talent and accelerate the hiring of strong architects and developers
- Work closely with Product Management to obtain prompt resolution to key business issues likely to impact product release schedules, product requirements, product quality, and business operations
- Oversee multiple teams that have application development managers
- Lead company-wide prioritization of improvements to code quality, systems, and engineering processes
- Inspire others to continuously improve and raise their standards at all levels of the company
- Partner with the Product team to manage and prioritize projects and requirements, provide estimates and innovative technical solutions, and provide ongoing communication through project execution
- Champion best practices for our technical team on development process, documentation, coding, error handling, testing, product quality, system performance, maintenance, and support
- Hold regular 1:1 meetings with each member of the team, conduct performance evaluations, and promote career development
- Collaborate with diverse stakeholders, including design, product, and back end technology teams to translate designs and user stories into functional front end code
- Create strong development practices, standards, and processes for code development
- Keep abreast of industry trends and technologies
- Drive technical excellence across our product lines
- Possess a comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the complexities and needs of running a software development organization such as making technology and architectural trade-offs, competitive analysis, market gap analysis, life cycle management, etc.
- 15+ years of progressively broadening enterprise systems software/SaaS development leadership experience and with a strong track record of success
- Inherent knowledge of development processes and best practices to manage multiple software development projects consistently on time and on budget
- Engineering leadership experience of a broad development portfolio of both established, mature products, as well as new and emerging products
- Knowledge and experience with public and private cloud technologies and modern technology frameworks
- Experience organizing and/or reorganizing a product development function for growth into highly competitive new markets and product lines where taking advantage of strategic opportunities requires short product life cycles and flexible and adaptable architectures
- Proven leadership experience setting the vision and building, leading, and motivating development teams
- Deep understanding of native app development and front-end and back-end technologies
- The ability to build and foster a culture where the best ideas win, even when they are not yours
- Experience scaling engineering teams that balance rapid innovation and sustainable systems
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and verbal communication skills to demonstrate thought leadership, promote guidelines/standards, establish oversight controls, facilitate solution design review among cross-functional stakeholder groups, establish buy-in, build consensus, surface key requirements, mentor associates, and drive change
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent, relevant experience
- Demonstrated ability to hire, develop, and retain top technical talent
- Ability to be hands-on with code to assist developers and has a passion for software development
- Excellent at clear and concise written and verbal communication
- Passionate about making your team better and creating an environment of learning
Additional skills and knowledge
- Strategic thinking
- Productive and results-oriented
- Intolerant of poor performance or behavior
- Displays active listening skills
- Adaptable and resilient
- Politically and interpersonally savvy
- Empathetic with a high emotional intelligence
- Supports team/unit cohesion
- Delegates effectively
- Manages stress and frustration
- Builds and maintains collaborative relationships
- Establishes presence outside the organization
- Committed to self-improvement
We hire people with all kinds of awesome experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives. We like it that way. So even if you don’t meet every single requirement, please consider applying if you like what you see.
We’re not your typical WealthTech company. Advisor360° was born out of tens of thousands of pieces of feedback received during the past 20 years from the industry’s highest-producing financial advisors. Our software is second to none in creating operational efficiencies, unifying all the systems advisors need to run their businesses.
Advisor360° launched in April 2019 as a new stand-alone technology company from our sister company, Commonwealth Financial Network®, the largest privately held Registered Investment Adviser–independent broker-dealer in the United States. With more than 2,000 independent advisors, Commonwealth is Advisor360°’s first customer; MassMutual is its second, bringing an additional 9,000 advisors onto the platform.
Come grow with us! Advisor360° is an exciting new venture, combining the nimble and innovative qualities of a start-up with the stability of a mature company. We have a track record of the highest satisfaction ratings by financial advisors in industry-leading publications, as well as a reputation for high workplace quality; for the last 12 years, as part of the Commonwealth team, we have been voted one of the 100 best technology companies to work at by Computerworld.
Benefits include a robust bonus plan, PTO, VTO (Volunteer Time Off), free access to vacation homes around the world, 50% 401(k) match, stock options, referral bonuses, 80% of HMO premium for individuals and families, life-insurance coverage, short-term and long-term disability coverage, education assistance, flexible spending accounts, and employee assistance programs, just to name a few.
Join us on this journey. We believe that diversity drives innovation and so we are building a company where everyone is truly welcome. Everyone is encouraged to bring their unique, authentic selves to work every day. The way we see it, we’re here to learn from each other. Are you ready to grow with us?
Advisor360° is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to a diverse workforce.